Hey buddy, how do you show a trend analysis on a line chart?
- Hey, it’s actually very simple and you just have to follow 3 easy steps.
- First of all, you have to convert all the sales data into the appropriate formats. And then you create a chart and finally add a trendline.
- Oh really? Can you show me how?
- Of course! But before I do, which version of excel do you have?
- It’s 2016.
- OK, look. This is the data. The first column is the year and the second is the sales figure for that year.
- Okay, so the first thing we need to do is to convert all of the sales figures into a currency, in this case, dollars.
- We can convert any set of numbers into percentages, time, date, or in this case currency by selecting the column and going on the top fo the page under the ‘numbers’ section and change it to currency OR alternately just pressing Ctrl+Shift+$.
- Now that we have the currencies, we select all of the columns and rows that we want to display in our graph, by selecting them using the mouse or alternatively, selecting a single cell and pressing the "Ctrl" and "A" keys simultaneously to select all the adjacent cells with their data.
- Excel has many charts and graphs options but in order to show a trend line, we need a line chart.
- In order to pick line chart, go to the insert menu ribbon and select line chart.
- Excel will automatically generate a line chart based on the values selected, however; we are not quite done yet, we need to add the trend line and to make it more coherent.
- Now select the line chart generated by excel, and click on the plus sign on the upright corner of the chart.
- Check the “trend line” box.
- It will prompt you to check where you would like the trend line to be, in this case, you would pick the sales data set as you want to know the trend on the sales data.
- Now you see a trend line was added to the chart and in the legend
You can keep the legend if you want or remove it by unchecking the legends box in the same menu.
- You can even change the design and color of the chart (if you'd like) by clicking on the chart and going over the Design ribbon under “chart tools”.
- Finally, you can add a title to your chart and you are done
- Oh wow, it is great. but how do I include the sales figure for each year on this line chart?
- You need to click on the chart and click on the plus sign on the upright corner and check the “data table” box.
- What would I do without you! Thank you so much, man!
- No worries.